Let’s be honest: When you’re in the trenches of wedding planning, the cake is probably a fairly low priority. But for people who attend your reception, the cake can be pretty important! One thing people look forward to at weddings is the food—and that includes the cake.
What can you do to pick the right one for your big day? Here are a few of our favorite tips for wedding cake selection.
Tips for Picking the Perfect Wedding Cake
- Make your other big decisions first. You want a cake that tastes good, but also one that looks right—and that means choosing a cake that matches the venue, the floral arrangements, the season, and your color selections. Come to your wedding cake tasting ready to share some of those basic aesthetic details.
- Know your budget. How much does a wedding cake cost, anyway? It’s usually priced by slice, and can be anywhere from three bucks to $25 per! Have a ballpark figure in mind before you meet with a caterer or wedding cake provider.
- Get enough tiers. The height of your wedding cake should match the size of your ceremony. The rule of thumb is that a three-tier cake will serve somewhere between 50 and 100 people. For 200 guests, you’ll need to go up to five tiers, etc.
- Pick your favorite flavor. No, seriously. You can’t please everyone, and it’s foolish to try. Just pick a flavor that you’re excited about, without worrying too much about what everyone else wants.
- Think about the weather. If you’re having an outdoor ceremony in the middle of summer, you’ll probably want to stay away from cakes that will melt easily—including cakes made with meringue or whipped cream.
- Think about your topper. You may have an heirloom piece you want to use as a cake topper—and that’s great! If not, make sure you ask your cake maker about options for icing ribbons or other artisanal details.
Your wedding cake may prove one of the most memorable aspects of your day—for your guests, if not for you! Make sure you choose it with care.
With any questions about catering, cakes, or hosting your big day at Mosteller Mansion, reach out to our team any time!