‘Tis the season for festive gatherings—not just at home or at church, but also at work. Most businesses host holiday office parties of some kind, and you may be the kind of person who finds it easy to slip into the holiday spirit and simply enjoy yourself.
Then again, you may be the kind of person who finds these gatherings a little awkward; or, you may not feel comfortable totally “letting loose” in front of your workmates.
If that’s the camp you’re in, here are a few guidelines we can offer—some general tips for having a good time at your work party.
Enjoying Your Holiday Office Party
- Wear something you feel comfortable in. If the party has a dress code, that’s one thing. But if not, wear something you feel good in. If you happen to like goofy Christmas sweaters, don’t be ashamed to wear one.
- Have some icebreakers ready. If you find yourself talking with someone you don’t know very well, it can help to have some ready-to-go conversation starters. This can be as simple as asking someone about where they grew up, or if they’ve seen any good movies lately.
- Keep your phone in your purse or pocket. Whipping out your phone can be a natural defense mechanism—but honestly, it’s just not very polite. Keep the phone tucked away while you’re at the party.
- Be careful about drinking. Definitely enjoy yourself—but also remember that you are being observed by co-workers and colleagues. Avoid doing anything you might regret the next day.
- Remember that you’re not the only one who’s anxious. You may feel like you’re the only non-extrovert at the party—but you’re definitely not. Other people feel a little anxious in big gatherings, too—and you’re all there together, making the most of it. Don’t ever feel like you’re alone!
Your work party doesn’t have to be a source of stress. It can actually be something you look back on with fondness—and hopefully, these tips will help.
If you’re planning your office party, we hope you’ll reach out to Mosteller Events about any catering needs. Contact us at your earliest convenience!