With the right planning, you can cap off your perfect day with the perfect menu—one that’s on-budget, fresh, colorful, and most importantly, delicious! Of course, there’s a lot that goes into wedding day menu planning, so here’s a 10-step breakdown.
Checklist: Planning Your Wedding Menu
1. Finalize your budget. Before you do anything else, make sure you know how much you want to spend. Every decision you make will hinge on the budget!
2. Look for a caterer, sooner rather than later! Give your catering company plenty of time to brainstorm the perfect menu for your big day. Hire the caterer early in the process—around the same time you book the venue.
3. Have a guest list ready. After you book the caterer, you’ll need to provide them with a sense of how many people they are cooking for. Be ready to finalize your guest list—again, sooner rather than later.
4. Don’t forget dietary restrictions! Should you plan to offer some gluten-free, vegan, or non-dairy menu items? If you know of guests who have these dietary restrictions, then the answer is likely a yes!
5. Think in terms of style. Do you want an extravagant sit-down menu? An informal buffet line? Just some finger foods that can be passed around? Settle on your style, and let the caterer know what you have in mind.
6. Emphasize local, seasonal foods. This is one of the best ways to keep food costs in check. Talk to your caterer for specific strategies.
7. Consider ways to add a personal touch. Does your mom make the world’s best apple pie? Send the recipe to your caterer. Do your cousins want to provide their own craft beer at your wedding? Consider letting them do so!
8. Keep your menu diverse! You don’t want to overwhelm guests with options, but do make sure there are a few basic choices—a light salad, something heavier, etc.—to keep everyone happy.
9. Don’t take unnecessary risks. Do you want your wedding day to be remembered for the food poison that ensues? If not, you might avoid raw meats, really exotic seafood, etc.
10. Be generous. You don’t want anyone leaving your wedding with an empty stomach. Make sure you budget for everyone to get enough.
Need further guidance as you craft your perfect menu? Our catering experts are here to help. Reach out to the Mosteller Events crew today!