When the groom selects his Best Man for the wedding, he usually picks him based on loyalty and friendship; maybe it’s an old buddy from college or even high school, someone who’s been there through thick and thin. Traditionally, many men have picked their dear ol’ dad for this hallowed position. There’s no bad pick, of course; the thing is just to pick a buddy whose friendship and support mean something, both to the groom and to the bride.
Here’s the thing about best men, though: Most have never actually been a best man before, and they may be a little fuzzy on exactly what the best man is supposed to do.
You don’t want to let any of these important duties slip through the cracks, of course, so we’ve put together a quick checklist. You can send it to any best men you know as a gentle nudge, a friendly reminder of what their duties entail!
- Serving as the groom’s advisor and assistant—helping him pack for the honeymoon and make sure he’s got all the personal items he needs for the day of the wedding, for instance.
- Helping the groom to plan and rent/buy formal wear for all the men in the wedding party—with the bride’s blessing, of course!
- Putting together a bachelor party! You can always enlist some of the other groomsmen for this critical task as well.
- Showing up to the rehearsal and the rehearsal dinner—if only to support the groom, and to make sure you know what you’re supposed to do during the ceremony.
- Standing beside the groom at the altar and—this is key—having the ring safe and easily accessible. Don’t keep it somewhere you’ll have to fumble for it when the big moment comes!
- Witness the signing of the marriage license.
- Giving the officiant his or her fee; the groom is tasked with paying for it, but the best man can handle the actual transmission.
- Being announced during the reception, and dancing with the maid of honor.
- Giving the first toast during the reception.
- Decorating the getaway car, assuming that’s something the bride and groom are both going to be cool with.
- Making sure all the other groomsmen are doing their duties.
It’s a big job—and an important one. It’s also an honor—so when you’re called into best man duty, try to really enjoy it!
For any questions or comments about the logistics of your Mosteller Mansion wedding, don’t hesitate to give us a call.